Tuesday 10 December 2013

Jewel in the crowd

Breaking my BBC Good Food Show virginity was an experience. The size of the event was somewhat daunting and the attempt to see, taste and sample everything proved a challenge.

As I discussed in my Sentinel column, the down right rudeness of people was the biggest shock (although why I should be so shocked in this day and age - I don't really know) but on reflection it was an excellent day out and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It even made me change my long held opinion of James Martin. Enough said.

The real gem of a find for me wasn't the Sous Vide 'Smoking Gun' which is currently top of my Christmas Wish List but a Smoked Rapeseed Oil from Fussels. Inspired by the musings of a customer at a Farmers' Market, Andy Fussel experimented and the result is superb. Not normally an impulsive buyer, having sampled, purchasing became a necessity not a desire.

The smokiness is just right and formed the perfect base to a 'Smoked Bolognese', using the oil, smoked sea salt and smoked garlic.


Smoked Rapeseed Oil should be available to buy on line within the next couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment